Monday, August 23, 2010

Sneak preview of my book "Gluten Free Fitness"!

Many of you know that I've been working on a book titled Gluten Free Fitness (or The Gluten Free Athlete...I can't decide) and I've spent the past 4 days on retreat in Keystone with the express purpose of writing, writing, writing. And while mucho writing has indeed transpired, so has mucho recipe experimentation. The process of spending hours in the kitchen has actually been quite restorative, though I must admit that the results have not always been superior. I've tried several different recipes from different cookbooks, and tweeked them here and there to make them my own, all with varying degrees of success.

Here is one of the home runs:

Gluten free, dairy free pizza with grape tomatoes, fresh basil, and pepperoni


Preheat oven to 350.

For the crust:

1 1/2 C almond flour (I use hulled almond meal/flour by Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

Stir these ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk together 1 T grapeseed oil and 1 large egg in a smaller bowl.

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until a chewy-looking dough is formed.

Allow to sit for 10 minutes (this is ESSENTIAL!).

Spread 1 T margarine (I use Earth Balance, it's dairy free and vegan)on a cookie sheet and then place dough mixture on top of it. Using your hands, press the mixture into a thin pizza crust approx 10" in diameter and 1/4" thick.

Top with a pre-made pizza sauce of your choice (I use MuirNew pizza sauce and it was delicious), then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (Try Daiya brand. It's dairy free and melts just like real cheese)

Finally, place 5-6 slices of Applegate Farms pepperoni slices in concentric circles, then top with 6-7 leaves of fresh basil and 8-10 chopped grape tomatoes.

Bake for 15-20 minutes. Serves 2-4, depending on how hungry you are.

I had friends over for dinner tonight, and they loved this crust recipe.
Hopefully you will love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment